Climbing my first Big Wall, Swoop Gimp, I learned a lot from two friends of mine who were AMGA guides. Pictured here, Kurt demonstrates how to "Jug a line" which the leader, John, fixed at the next belay station. I, being the third, got to break down the station, unclip from everything except the line going up, and swing free from the overhanging cliff. Not even waiting for the swinging to subside, I then ascended the rope in the same fashion. We did this again and again and again as we gained altitude. Three days and two nights later we pull;ed ourselves and all of our equipment over the rim of the canyon and hiked out. The two nights spent on the wall were exhillerating blessed by a full moon. Even though it was my frist time sleeping in a hanging hammock, exhaustion trumped fear and my mind was quiet as I drifted to sleep in peace.
Swoop Gimp, Zion NP, Utah 1996
Climbing my first Big Wall, Swoop Gimp, I learned a lot from two friends of mine who were AMGA guides. Pictured here, Kurt demonstrates how to "Jug a line" which the leader, John, fixed at the next belay station. I, being the third, got to break down the station, unclip from everything except the line going up, and swing free from the overhanging cliff. Not even waiting for the swinging to subside, I then ascended the rope in the same fashion. We did this again and again and again as we gained altitude. Three days and two nights later we pull;ed ourselves and all of our equipment over the rim of the canyon and hiked out. The two nights spent on the wall were exhillerating blessed by a full moon. Even though it was my frist time sleeping in a hanging hammock, exhaustion trumped fear and my mind was quiet as I drifted to sleep in peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment